Classified

Saturday, August 09, 2008

V.S.O.P

I took part in my first auction ever.

In Singapore, members of the Taoist faith celebrate the 7th month of the lunar calender, the Hungry Ghost Festival with offerings, Getais and dinners. They believe that the gates of Hell are open during this month to allow the ghosts a month of vacation in the land of the living. This year, the 7th month coincides with August of the Gregorian calender.

One of the main event during the dinners is to auction off various electronic appliances, alcoholic beverages and the likes. Yesterday at one of these dinners, I bid for for a bottle of Hennessy V.S.O.P at S$168. For a bottle of cognac this isn't a high price. Clubs typically sell it for more, though supermarkets sell it for a lot lower. At the end of the day, it was just for the fun of it.

Not only that, I also learned something new. At these auctions, the items are paid for at the dinner in the following year, though they are collected immediately. How cool is that. In addition, diners that won a bid are usually given a table in the next year so that they can come and join in the festivities again.

There is another dinner on the 18th. My father happens to be in the committee for this one. I think I will bid for something again. Just to show him some support. Look like I will have more dinners to go to next year. In the meantime, I will just sit back, relax, and enjoy my cuppa V.S.O.P.

No comments: