Classified

Thursday, August 07, 2008

Money No Enough 2


Jack Neo's latest movie does not disappoint as me, my brother and his wife went through 2 hours of an emotional roller coaster ride.

With the same cast back in totally different roles, Jack's latest movie once again touched on the current issues in our society that bug all Singaporeans.

True to its title, Money No Enough 2 went hard on financial problems that plague Singaporeans, with special emphasis on the ever increasing amount of ERP gantries that have dominated coffeeshop-talks all around the island.

As one of the characters in the show put it, soon we'll have to step paying charges from the moment we exit the elevators of our own flats.

Another part of the show continued Jack's style of embedding moral issues in his movies. The movie went on to talk about the 3 main characters' relationship with their mother. As the soundtrack in Hokkien went, "all the love showered on the young child, who couldn't care less about the mother's well-being once he grew up." (loose translation)

Nowadays themes such as these do not fail to strike a chord in my heart. As we grow up, and our parents grow old, pictures of pitiful elderly become ever more heart-wrenching. As I watch the story unfold in front of me, I could not help but tell myself I must never fail my parents. All the things that they have done for me, the gratitude is something I can never repay.

As the credits roll at the end of the film, I could no longer tell whether the tears flowing non-stop were tears of laughter or sadness.

No comments: