Classified

Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Technological Advantage


This is the M16. The version we use in Singapore is slightly different. I have been trained to use it since I was 13. It started when I first joined the NCC and continued when I was enlisted into National Service. Despite all the training and getting all the basics right, I was never a good shot.


This all changed with the SAR21. This is a rifle designed and manufactured in Singapore, if memory serves me right. For old-school trained people like me, the initial handling and familiarisation was not easy. In terms of ease of use and handling, the general consensus I got was that the M16 was a tad better.

This perception did not change although I did find something that the SAR21 is better at. I used the SAR21 during the Novelty Shoot at the NCC Annual Shooting Competition. Amazingly, I got all my targets. Using the scope built into the SAR21, aiming and shooting became so easy. I got the silver award only because I was slightly slower than the winner. All these from me, who used to barely pass my shooting tests.

No comments: