Classified

Thursday, September 18, 2008

15 KM uncompleted

It's been more than 2 weeks since I last ran. That's the thing about sports. It requires a lot of discipline to do it day in day out. Being the sloth that I am, I just couldn't keep it up consistently enough.

After some careful thought, I decided to try running 15KM today, instead of 10Km, which should have been the next run according to my plan. It's like the backlogged assignments that I used to have. If I keep on trying to complete what I missed, I will always be doing catch up. There comes a point when you should just try to keep to the schedule and do the backlogged work when the tasks at hand are finished.

To accomplished 15Km, I added Bedok Town Park to the route. If I made from there to ECP and back, It would have been 15KM and more. So I started running from my place to Bedok Town Park to Shi An's place and continued towards ECP along the Siglap Park Connector.

The lack of consistent running did not affect me in the beginning as I could still run without much difficulty. But on my way back I started feeling sick. Lips felt like bacons, dry and crisp. Blood was no longer flowing in me. In its place I felt that the liquid flowing through my body was more like molten lava. After the distance I was not feeling all warm and sweaty. Instead, on this supposedly warm autumn night, I could only feel a chilly breeze.

At this point I knew I could not carry on. I assumed I was too dehydrated. Sadly, I failed to complete 15KM. After some calculation, I only managed a weak 10.306KM. It was completed in 1hr13m.

Based on this calculation, 42.195Km will take me about 5hrs, plus an additional 30 minutes to account for the reduction in speed at the later stages due to fatigue. That would allow me to complete the marathon within 6hrs.

The next time I run, I'm going to bring some water along.

No comments: