Classified

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Cabaret


Today I went to watch a musical at L'Alliance Francaise de Singapour.

I was invited by Pan Pan who was performing in the musical titled "Cabaret." It was a french musical, no less.

I am really impressed by her courage. For most people, or at least the ones I know, myself included, the idea of performing in a play would be daunting enough. She, however, went one step further by doing in a whole new language. It was performed by Pan and her classmates at L'Alliance Francaise. Their teacher had come up with a method of learning French through theatre and this was their final work.

I have to admit, j'ai peu compris. Although we were given a translation of the dialogues, we couldn't read it while the musical was going on as the theatre was dimmed. The various accents of the Spanish, Chinese, Indian and Vietnamese performers didn't help.

Still, we had a great laugh at the melodramatic and fumbles of some of the actors and actresses. And no matter how it turned out, I think they did a great job. I wouldn't be able to perform anywhere as well. Perhaps better pronunciation. Pan was one the few that really spoke like the French. The rest were still pretty raw.

The most enjoyable part of the show, has to be the songs. So many well known hits, including Edith Piaf's "Je ne regrette rien." Gotta love it.

No comments: