Classified

Monday, April 20, 2009

Heat-Injury


Yesterday I experienced for the first time clammy skin.

Throughout the courses that I went through, during NS, as a teacher, or whenever, I have heard about the clammy skin but can never quite understand it, until yesterday.

Yesterday was one of a series of hot days. I believe the temperature was well over 30 degrees. It was one of the weekly sessions of football. We started the day with eleven man, just enough to form one team without substitution. It was going to be a difficult day and we all knew it.

I had expected the sun to make things difficult but I didn't know it was going to be that difficult. By half-time I was gasping for air, breaking out in cold sweat and in a daze. I knew something was not right but wasn't sure what.

After a while, it got better. And I began to realise what it might be. I was severely dehydrated and also felt a bit nauseous. It dawned on me that these were familiar symptoms. Symptoms that I had heard of more than once; I could be getting heat-related injury. Not wanting to risk it, I sat out the beginning of the second half.

I'm glad that I did. Even though it might be a misdiagnosis. It was better safe than sorry. Heat-injury is potentially fatal. So I would like to share some information here about it:

Some common symptoms:
Cold sweat
Dizziness
Nausea
Clammy skin

Basic first-aid:
Hydration
Shade
Removal of clothing
Cooling using fan or water.

Prevention:
Adequate hydration
Adequate rest
Not engaging in outdoor activities during midday

These are some of the things I remember off-hand. They are not hundred percent accurate and not exhaustive. Please read up and take care everyone. Have fun, but do it safely.

No comments: